Thursday, February 14, 2013

All for a Song: A Review for Tyndale House

All for a Song
View all my reviews

All for a Song by Allison Pittman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I chose this book to review because I liked the look of the cover and the description caught my attention. I don't necessarily agree with a woman being an evangelist and it was looked down more in the early 1900's than it is today. I think I chose this book because I like seeing different viewpoints, even if I don't agree with it. This book was fiction but there was one character in the book that was a real person from the 1920's, which I thought was a neat idea for the book if the author was going to include a woman evangelist in the plot. In my opinion, I think the book focused on one denomination but I don't think it was made out like that denomination was being forced upon the reader. The only issues I have with this book is how Roland and Aimee are portrayed. Roland's character just creeps me out and he comes off as a bad person to me. Aimee comes off as an arrogant person, even though she is supposed to be an evangelist. I just didn't like how their character's are portrayed.

~About the Story~

This is the first book I have read by Allison Pittman and I thought it was a great choice for a first read. The story is about a lady whose name is Dorothy Lynn and the story changes perspective between her being 107 years old and 18 years old. At 107 years old, Dorothy Lynn has had two strokes and lost her voice to the second stroke. Dorothy Lynn's father was the preacher in her small town of Heron's Nest until he passed away. Dorothy Lynn's fiance, Brent, has taken her father's place as the preacher. Dorothy Lynn loves playing the guitar that was given to her by her brother and she enjoys writing her own songs. Her love for playing the guitar and singing is the part of the reason she has chose to travel with Sister Aimee's crusade to California but the main reason is to find her brother. She travels through different states, playing for Sister Aimee's crusade, until they reach California. Roland is with Dorothy Lynn throughout the trip to California and makes sure she has everything she needs.

~Where to Buy~

BarnesandNoble

~About the Author~

Award-Winning Author Allison Pittman left a seventeen-year teaching career in 2005 to follow the Lord's calling into the world of Christian fiction, and God continues to bless her step of faith. Her novels "For Time and Eternity" and "Forsaking All Others" were both finalists for the Christy Award for excellence in Christian fiction, and her novel "Stealing Home" won the American Christian Fiction Writers' Carol Award. She heads up a successful, thriving writers group in San Antonio, Texas, where she lives with her husband, Mike, their three sons, and the canine star of the family--Stella.

I received this book free from Tyndale House Publishers. I wasn't required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.